The Bertocchi journey started in 1955 when Modesto Bertocchi opened the first sport cafe in Lygon Street Carlton for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
Little did he know at the time, Modestoâ€™s vision, commitment and relentless passion would lead to the beginning of a legacy.
His commitment and vision was to establish a sporting club that would entertain the working class society with early morning coffees and evening meals.
It didnâ€™t take him long to succeed. Modesto had the foresight to attract patrons by being one of the first to install television sets in a cafe in Melbourne.
The concept took off and everybody flocked to his cafe to watch the Olympics and eat and drink. This was the beginning.
After this success Modesto ventured into property and then into his craft, butchering meat.
From such humble beginnings he developed a network of butcher shops around Melbourne.
Then in 1972, he purchased 4 hectares of land in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, in Thomastown.
40 years on, Bertocchi Smallgoods sprawls across 10 hectares at the original Thomastown site and is today one of the
largest producers of the finest hams, bacon and continental smallgoods in Australia.
Bertocchi has proudly amassed a wealth of ham, bacon and smallgoods processing knowledge with over 40 yearsâ€™ experience in the industry.
This has positioned the company as one of Australiaâ€™s leading manufacturers of traditional, high-quality continental smallgoods.
The manufacturing and distribution facility in Thomastown is fully accredited and compliant with all regulatory industry standards, including Woolworths Vendor Quality, Coles Supplier Certificate, Primesafe, SQF Code Edition 7.1 Level 3 and ISO 9001:2008 certifications.
Bertocchi has recently introduced a range of brands into the marketplace â€“
- Bertocchi Gold â€“ encompassing the authentic hand-crafted continental smallgoodsâ€™ products that are derived from traditional recipes, natural fermentation and air-dried maturation processes in a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility.
- San Marino â€“ an innovative and exciting range of gastronomic traditional continental smallgoods masterpieces of uncompromising high standards.
- WĂĽrstel â€“ a new range of true German Sausages, using age old traditional recipes that have been crafted by a Fleishmaster. The range is gluten free, made from 100% Australian fresh pork and a blend of beef and veal.
- Happy Pig â€“ showcasing a range of organic ham and bacon products that are certified by NASAA, Australiaâ€™s official organic certification body.
- Foremost â€“ a range of products servicing the foodservice market.
Trading partners, Beretta & Noel, have been introduced and ranged into the Australian market.
- Beretta â€“ the Beretta Prosciutto is renowned worldwide as the benchmark for Prosciutto di Parma and San Danielle, the finest quality prosciutto nationally to Australian consumers.
- Noel â€“Â an innovative and exciting range of gastronomic traditional continental smallgoods masterpieces of uncompromising high standards.
Why are Bertocchi Products Different?
- Bertocchi Ham products are manufactured to the highest standard using full muscle pork, baked and naturally smoked
with a selection of Hickory and Tasmanian ash.
- Authentic traditional methods are used to hand-craft our Hams with over 40 years of processing knowledge, skill, experience and passion in smallgoods.
- The popularity of Bertocchiâ€™s Continental products derives from use of traditional recipes, natural fermentation and
air-dried maturation processes in a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility.
- Consistently superior product quality is integral to the companyâ€™s vision.
Bertocchi Smallgoods positions itself as the number one quality smallgoods producer in Australia. Our goal is to become the benchmark brand for the domestic smallgoods market, by manufacturing the best quality at all times whilst enhancing our reputation through service and relationships.
We will strive to market the Bertocchi brand based on quality and trust.
Today, Bertocchi maintains the passion by continuing to deliver the finest quality products to consumers at competitive prices.
The core values of Bertocchi Smallgoods are:
- Craftsmanship, experience, knowledge, tradition, trust,Â passion, pride, brand strength and authentic quality products which use only the finest ingredients.